Spicy Pineapple Curry
Pineapple is one of those beautiful fruits that can pass for a sweet and savoury dish without a hint of doubt. Pineapple on pizza is a decade long debate, so we are not going to touch that sensitive topic. But we are here with a mouth watering dish, that you must try!
This curry is loaded with spices and pineapple chunks are cooked until tender and oozing with flavour. The dish is unforgiving, so you can bring your twist to it and I bet it will taste as amazing. If you just can't be bothered, just follow our recipe and you won't be disappointed.
Have to be honest from the get-go, this is not one of quick meals. So don't attempt if you are in a hurr; save and come to it when you have some time to spare.
- 1 medium Pineapple
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cloves and 2 cardamom, roughly crushed
- 10 curry leaves
- Piece of lemon grass
- Half an onion, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 1 cup coconut cream
- When you go to buy a pineapple at the store, tjust make sure it is not fully riped (yellowish in colour). You want to pick one that is 3/4 green and 1/4 yellow in colour.
- Cut the pineapple in to cubes, add some salt, cover and let it be for about 1 hour. After an hour, you will have little bit of pineapple juice at the bottom of the bowl, which we will add to the curry.
- While the pineapple is resting, in a pan heat some oil, saute garlic, cloves, cardamom, curry leaves, lemon grass, onions and cinnamon stick.
- Add curry powder, chilli powder (adjust quantity according to your spice level) and tumeric.
- Add the pineapple juice from the pineapple that you rested earlier.
- Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the pineapple cubes, mix, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, mix again, add salt and sugar (if pineapple is sour) to taste, cover and cook for couple of minutes.
- Add coconut cream just to cover the pinapples and cook on high heat (uncovered) for 2 minutes.
- Take off heat, cover and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving
You can serve this with warm rice or roti.
Give this a try and thank me later! 😊