Delicious Vegan Butter Chicken
Butter 'Chicken' is a classic Indian dish that everyone has enjoyed at an Indian Restaurant. Now, you can make the same restaurant quality Butter 'Chicken' at home in Vegan style!
- 1 jar Butter Chicken Curry Paste
- 1 kg of bite sized (extra firm) tofu
- 1 can (400ml) diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp of vegan butter
- 1 cup of coconut cream
- Fresh coriander and whole nuts to garnish
Preparing the Tofu
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees
- Remove the extra firm tofu from the packet and dry it using a hand towel.
- Break the tofu in to bite sized pieces. I like to break it, rather than cutting to equal sizes, to have the look of chicken pieces.
- Toss it in salt, 2 tbsp of cornflour and 2 tbsp oil, until every piece is well coated.
- Bake it for 15 minutes, turning the tray half way through, until the tofu is slightly crispy on the top.
Preparing the Butter 'Chiken'
- Heat your pan. Leave the flame on high.
- Add the paste to the heated pan along with the baked tofu.
- Sauté it for few minutes, and add tomatoes, tomato paste and butter and cook on high heat for 5 minutes.
- Now add the coconut cream and cook on high for another five minutes.
- Take it off the heat and garnish with fresh coriander and nuts.
- Serve it with fresh rice or roti!
- You can avoid baking the tofu. Instead, you can marinate the tofu with spices of your choice and follow the process.
- You can replace the tofu with TVP or Vegetables of your choice.
- You can adjust the quantity and spice levels to your liking.